A Work Health and Safety Management System (WHSMS) is designed to help organisations systematically manage health & safety in the workplace. An effective WHSMS consists of a robust, documented set of plans, actions and procedures which target improvements.
An effective WHS Management System is essential to providing a safe workplace and minimising the risk to people, property and the environment.
Effective management of safety is consistent with good business sense and is essential that health and safety is integrated into the planning, purchasing, production, distribution, sales and financial aspects of business.
Health and safety policies and procedures are essential for your workplace because they:
- Demonstrate that your business is addressing its health and safety obligations.
- Show that your business is committed to working within a set of health and safety principles.
- Clarify functions and responsibilities in your business.
- Ensure that safe systems of work are recorded, communicated to workers and implemented in a consistent way throughout your business.
- Guide the future actions of workers in a formal way.
- Help your business to manage staff more effectively by defining acceptable and unacceptable behaviour in the workplace.
- Save time by allowing health and safety matters to be handled quickly through an existing procedure, rather than staff dealing with problems as they occur or responding differently each time the same issues arise.
Each of these advantages works towards improving your health and safety systems to create a culture where health and safety is a commitment made by your management and board. If you can do this, you will show your workers that their welfare is your priority – leading to a strong safety culture and more productive workers.
Our highly skilled WHS team will work with you to assess your needs, evaluate options and develop solutions. SS&T will facilitate in your movement toward world class safety management systems and programs and ensure the highest standards of WHS, wellbeing & safety culture in your workplace.